Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The Awesomely Awesome Discovery Center and Its Awesomeness



*photos taken by Dr. Katherine Mangione at the Discovery Center at Murfree Spring in Murfreesboro, TN, USA.

Seriously, I kind of want to live there.  Being at the Discovery Center turned me into a giddy little kid all over again.  I remember going to the Cumberland Science Museum in Nashville before it became the Adventure Science Center, and it was amazing.  THAT was my candy store as a little kid.

Murfree Spring was so gorgeous and therapeutic.  I really wanted to just hop over that log in the creek and just keep wading until the sun went down and I couldn't see anymore.  That also reminded me of being a kid.  My friend Emily and I would go creek stomping just about every weekend, as soon as it was warm enough.  We'd be out until dark and would come sloshing in for dinner, wet and dirty and incredibly hungry.  It never got old! 

So many kids don't get those opportunities.  They grow up in cities in front of televisions and computer screens, and they don't get to experience the things that some of us from previous generations did.  I think it's so important for us, as teachers, to provide our students with these experiences and possibly awaken an interest that they didn't know was there.  You never know when the next Neil deGrasse Tyson or Steve Irwin will be sitting in your classroom. 

In addition to the fact that we got to go outside and stomp in the creek, look for tadpoles and crawfish, and pet cute, feathery and fluffy animals (and a skink!), I also really enjoyed the activities we did.  The water cycle activity was a fun and refreshing way to learn, and it was so much more in-depth than the 2-D worksheets I remember in school. 

I think that my "A-ha" moment was watching the water drop activity.  ONE drop out of that huge cylinder was equal to the entire amount of potable water for all life on Earth that requires fresh water.  THAT was a shock.  I knew it was a small amount, but when it was put in that perspective, it really made an impact.

This was seriously some of the best fun that I've had in awhile.  That probably makes me a nerd, haha!  But really, I truly appreciate the experience of learning with everyone and having fun while doing it, and I'm going to use all of the outdoor lessons when I teach!

7 comments:

  1. I agree about the water. That exercise really struck me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Drop In the Bucket activity always makes me tearful and worried. That's why I brought the kids. For three years I have been trying to reduce the number of towels they use, energy they consume, and water they waste. They were stunned TOO! It was powerful. Now Samantha knows where I learned to toss my watery drinks and ice into the house plants! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try SO hard to keep water waste to a minimum at my house -- I need to replicate the Drop in the Bucket activity for the man!

      Delete
  3. I've turned into the water police at my house! How very eye opening to see how what we take for granted is really so precious. Like our presentation...to only be able to use 4 gal. of water a day? The average American probably wastes more than 4 gal a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm sure! I've really cracked down on it, too!

      Delete
  4. I keep pouring the rest of my water bottle into plants and am having a hard time taking a shower without feeling convicted!! Such a powerful activity! I too agree that the discovery center is an awesome place and every school should be required to go on a field trip to see Ms. Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought the Discovery Center was so relaxing as well. I think that it is a great place for kids to experience the outdoors that otherwise probably wouldn't! You are a wonderful writer!

    ReplyDelete