Thursday, May 29, 2014

Hopefully Not Goodbye...

Thank you all, for your insight, discussions, ideas, and the experiences we had in our short little class.  During these three weeks, I've seen you all more than I've seen my own child (at least awake), what with work and class time.  I've learned so much from being in this class and from such awesome instruction from Dr. Kat.  Seriously, thank you for that lesson on the lunar phases!  I will never forget it, and I will always work that in to whichever grade I teach! 

On that note, I will leave you with a little poem that I wrote about my job as a zookeeper...  I hope you enjoy it!


Confessions of a Zookeeper

By Jennifer Coleman-Bonham
Copyright 2013

I do not like the monkeys at the zoo.

They will fling fruit and poo at you,

And they will conspire with their little monkey friends

When it is dark outside and you have to get them in.

They may look adorable and incredibly sweet

But they will gnash at you with their nails and teeth.

You may think, “Oh precious monkeys, this cannot be true!”

I used to think that as well, but boy, let me tell you…

I would rather scoop live mealworms for yummy tortoise snacks.

If I have to clean the python’s cage, I assure you, I’m relaxed.

Let the cliquish alpaca spit at me while I’m supplying their oats.

A few times, I’ve been butted by the cantankerous billy goat.

I would rather scoop sheep pellets while dripping with sweat

And saying, “Watch your step there, sir.  Those aren’t Raisinets.”

Let me empty and scrub out the anteater’s tub.

Let my leg be a toy for a feisty leopard cub.

After I dodge the wrath of a bad-tempered kinkajou,

Let the nosy toucans give me a Donald Trump hairdo.

Bring on the unprovoked hatred from the hawk.

Let me be slooooooowly attacked by a two-toed sloth.

I would rather do all of this, every single day…

Just please, don’t send me to the monkeys today.

P.S. Don’t even get me started on swans…

1 comment:

  1. My life is now complete, having read the phrase "cliquish alpaca." Magnificent! I've enjoyed the time with you, Jenny -- take care of them tortoises!

    ReplyDelete