Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Introduction

So, I love Science, and I love being outside.  I think that, for this class, I will try to focus on ways to teach outdoors.  Does that count as a focus?  As a camp teacher and former zookeeper, that used to be my job, and I've seen the way that kids engage and really retain information when you take them outside for a lesson.  I'm not really sure what else to say on this blog yet.  I'm gonna have to get used to this.  Usually, if I have something worth saying, I say it in a conversation, so please forgive me if this is so short.

*Edit*

Now that I'm more awake and have a little more time, I'll add a couple of things.  I absolutely love that it's finally spring and that we're nearing summer!  I'm looking out my window and seeing nothing but green all around my house, with birds singing away in the trees, and that makes me so incredibly happy and peaceful.

I really want to teach outdoors as much as possible because of the literature that I've read which gives so many excellent reasons.  One reason is that after being outdoors, children are more focused and less anxious, especially children with ADD and ADHD.  In Middle Tennessee, unless you are working in downtown Nashville, you are going to see some trees when you step outside.  Being in nature lowers the blood pressure and relieves stress.  Many people use nature as therapy.  So it makes perfect sense to introduce lessons in nature, if only for this reason.  Another reason is that recess is so shortened now, and it is very important for children's development to have free play.  If we can't extend recess due to regulations, we can at least provide them with constructive time outside in the fresh air and sunshine.

I realize that outdoor class time isn't always an option and is completely dependent upon weather.  But we could incorporate it at least once a week when the weather is mild and sunny.  I've seen the effect that a 15 minute outdoor break has on an entire class.  They came back inside refreshed and ready to work, and behavior problems were nearly nonexistent.  They didn't even play.  We just went for a quick walk outside and came back in.  Imagine the possibilities of conducting entire lessons outside, and science is the perfect platform!

4 comments:

  1. At last, at last I know somebody who works(ed) at a zoo! Very cool. I'm looking forward to reading more, about whatever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, I read your bio, and I must say this... "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!" :) One of my all-time favorites, as well.

      Delete
  2. Jenny! You were a zoo-keeper! I can see you caring for otters... What animals did you care for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was! You name it, I fed it or cleaned up after it at some point, haha! Everything from snakes and turtles to toucans and hornbills, domesticated farm animals, giant anteater, skunk, kinkajou, opossums, two-toed sloth, serval, lynx, snow leopard cub.........plus lots more, and I "subbed" for some of the tiger and primate keepers a bit.

      Delete